Cedar Point Debuts New Steel Vengeance Roller Coaster
Cedar Point has been known for breaking record barriers with their world class roller coasters. Today, Cedar Point continued that tradition, by giving members of the press and select guests their first rides on Steel Vengeance—the world’s Tallest, Fastest, Longest, and world’s first hyper hybrid roller coaster.
The re-design of Mean Streak was just a dream for coaster enthusiasts until 2016, when we witnessed Mean Streak’s final day of operation. Fans knew something special was about to happen on the former Mean Streak site. Now, fast forward into 2018, guests are seeing something totally new (and record breaking) in that location. The park hired world renowned coaster manufacturer Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC for short), to re-imagine Mean Streak into a new exciting hybrid coaster—hyper meaning over 200ft in height, and hybrid meaning it is a mixture of wood and steel. To get coaster fans pumped up, Cedar Point released this TV commercial to kickoff the 2018 season.
The re-imagined coaster is taller, longer, faster and most importantly SMOOTHER than ever before!
The ride still uses many of the wood supports that have been in place for years, but now it has steel support beams also mixed in. The track has been converted to a steel I-box track for an ultra smooth ride offering inversions that were once not possible on a wooden coaster. Steel Vengeance is the tallest and fastest hybrid coaster in the world featuring 27.2 seconds of airtime! That’s the most airtime of any coaster. The new coaster structure reaches 205 feet and drops you nearly straight down 200 feet, reaching speeds of 74 mph. Since track was added, Steel Vengeance is longer than Mean Streak at 5,740 feet for a 2 minute and 30 second ride.
AND FINALLY, here it is, A REAL FRONT SEAT POV OF THE FULL RIDE! DO IT! This does not ruin the experience. It makes riders better prepared for what to expect. There is NOTHING else in the world like riding it! Trust Us!
So, after the press and vip riders had their first rides, here’s a little insight on what professionals in the amusement industry thought. Scott Fais, managing editor of IAAPA’s Funworld magazine, reflects on his ride with ABC7 Detroit’s, Matt Smith.
The stats of this ride are just as surreal as the coaster itself. Cedar Point shattered fifteen world records with the new thrill ride!
- Height: 205 feet
- Speed: 74 mph
- First Drop: 200 feet
- Inversions: 4
- Length: 5,740 feet
- Duration: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
- Height Requirement: 48″
- Trains: 3
- Riders per Train: 24
- Riders per Hour: 1,200
A New World Record Breaker
Coaster Records Broken
1. World’s tallest hybrid roller coaster (205 feet tall)
2. World’s fastest hybrid roller coaster (74 miles per hour)
3. World’s steepest drop on a hybrid roller coaster (90 degrees)
4. World’s longest drop on a hybrid roller coaster (200 feet)
5. World’s longest hybrid roller coaster (5,740 feet)
6. Most inversions on a hybrid roller coaster (4)
7. Fastest airtime hill on a hybrid roller coaster (73 mph)
8. Most airtime on a hybrid roller coaster (27.2 seconds)
9. Most airtime on any roller coaster (27.2 seconds)
10. World’s first “hyper-hybrid” roller coaster
Park Records Broken
1. Most steel roller coaster track at one amusement park (57,865 feet/11 miles)
2. Most roller coaster track at one amusement park (60,423 feet/11.4 miles)
3. Most rides at one amusement park (71)
4. Most roller coasters over 200 feet tall at one amusement park (6)
5. Most roller coasters with a first drop of 90 degrees or more at one amusement park (5)
Branding for the new coaster starts as soon as guests enter Cedar Point’s causeway. For 2018, the iconic entryway of the park has been decorated with Steel Vengeance banners.
Furthermore, as guests drive around Maverick on the perimeter road, it becomes very real how enormous this giant coaster actually is. For comparison, the closest coaster to Steel Vengeance, Maverick, stands a full 100 feet shorter than the new hybrid coaster!
Here’s a sneak peek look in the Steel Vengeance gift shop.
Steel Vengeance isn’t the only thing new in Frontier Town. In honor of Frontier Town’s 50th anniversary, the entire section on the park is being overhauled.
More specific details about those updates can be found in the article link below.
Steel Vengeance will open to the public on May 5th. Guests must be over 52 inches tall to ride. Cedar Point will open for the 2018 season on May 5th. VIP Packages are available now. For tickets and more information, visit the official Cedar Point website by clicking here.
Stay connected with Coaster Nation!
Subscribe to YouTube