New Record Breaking Hybrid Coaster Coming to Cedar Point In 2018
After a year of hints and speculation, Cedar Point has finally confirmed what’s been happening in frontier town.
The announcement was made today (on National Roller Coaster Day) during a special announcement event at the park.
Last August, Cedar Point announced that Meanstreak, known to be a rough ride, would be getting the axe.The ride officially closed last September after a funeral ceremony and processional from the coaster to the “Ride Graveyard” at the front of the park. The ceremony included a character known as Richard Michael Crosby which only seemed to reaffirm that RMC would be handling the re-imagine the coaster.
Along the way, Cedar Point has released a series of short videos showing snapshots of new track and each with a short phrase at the end such as: They’re coming, They’re wild and unruly, They’re rollin’ in like thunder and 8/16 they stake their claim. At CoasterMania!, Cedar Point confirmed that RMC would be doing the re-imagining update to Meanstreak.
This summer, “Wanted” posters began showing up around the park. There were three, each depicting a different character leaving fans confused and guessing what the new ride name would be…
Today, we finally know the details surrounding Meanstreak. The announcement event kicked off in Frontier Town with the trailer for the re-imagined coaster called Steel Vengeance!
Rocky Mountain Construction known in the theme park industry as RMC, is currently working on the conversion. The re-imagined coaster will be taller, longer, faster and most importantly SMOOTHER than ever before! The ride will still use many of the wood supports that have been in place for many years, but will now have steel support beams mixed in. The track will be converted to a steel i-box track for an ultra smooth ride offering inversions that were once not possible on a wooden coaster. Steel Vengeance will be the tallest and fastest hybrid coaster in the world and will feature 27.2 seconds of airtime! That’s the most airtime of any coaster. The new coaster will reach 205 feet and drop you back down 200 feet, reaching speeds of 74 mph. It should also be noted that Steel Vengeance will be longer than Meanstreak at 5,740 feet for a 2 minute and 30 second ride.
- Height: 205 feet
- Speed: 74 mph
- First Drop: 200 feet
- Inversions: 4
- Length: 5,740 feet
- Duration: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
- Height Requirement: 48″
- Trains: 3
- Riders per Train: 24
- Riders per Hour: 1,200
Can’t wait to ride? Take a virtual ride right now!
A New World Record Breaker
Coaster Records Broken
1. World’s tallest hybrid roller coaster (205 feet tall)
2. World’s fastest hybrid roller coaster (74 miles per hour)
3. World’s steepest drop on a hybrid roller coaster (90 degrees)
4. World’s longest drop on a hybrid roller coaster (200 feet)
5. World’s longest hybrid roller coaster (5,740 feet)
6. Most inversions on a hybrid roller coaster (4)
7. Fastest airtime hill on a hybrid roller coaster (73 mph)
8. Most airtime on a hybrid roller coaster (27.2 seconds)
9. Most airtime on any roller coaster (27.2 seconds)
10. World’s first “hyper-hybrid” roller coaster
Park Records Broken
1. Most steel roller coaster track at one amusement park (57,865 feet/11 miles)
2. Most roller coaster track at one amusement park (60,423 feet/11.4 miles)
3. Most rides at one amusement park (71)
4. Most roller coasters over 200 feet tall at one amusement park (6)
5. Most roller coasters with a first drop of 90 degrees or more at one amusement park (5)
Steel Vengeance will open for the 2018 season. For tickets and more information, visit the official Cedar Point website by clicking here.
Stay connected with Coaster Nation!
Subscribe to YouTube
MORE GREAT VIDEOS FROM COASTER NATION!