Video: Steel Vengeance First Rides At Cedar Point
Cedar Point is breaking records once again. For the 2018 season, the park is debuting another record breaking coaster, but this time it’s a re-imagined machine.
Last year we seen the closing of Mean Streak, fast forward to 2018 and we see something totally new in that location. The park hired world renowned coaster manufacturer Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC for short), to re-imagine Mean Streak into a new exciting hybrid coaster—meaning it is now a mixture of wood and steel.
Testing has been underway for quite some time, but today, the park has finally released some on-ride video footage. The parks VP / GM and their PR guy hoped on board for one wild ride!
So, Now that the real footage has been released, lets compare the animated ride to the real ride side by side!
The re-imagined coaster is taller, longer, faster and most importantly SMOOTHER than ever before! The ride still uses many of the wood supports that have been in place for years, but now it has steel support beams also mixed in. The track has been converted to a steel i-box track for an ultra smooth ride offering inversions that were once not possible on a wooden coaster. Steel Vengeance is the tallest and fastest hybrid coaster in the world featuring 27.2 seconds of airtime! That’s the most airtime of any coaster. The new coaster structure reaches 205 feet and drops you nearly straight down 200 feet, reaching speeds of 74 mph. Since track was added, Steel Vengeance is longer than Meanstreak at 5,740 feet for a 2 minute and 30 second ride. Check out their first thoughts of the ride here on the CP blog.
- Height: 205 feet
- Speed: 74 mph
- First Drop: 200 feet
- Inversions: 4
- Length: 5,740 feet
- Duration: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
- Height Requirement: 48″
- Trains: 3
- Riders per Train: 24
- Riders per Hour: 1,200
Here’s a few photos from our construction tour visit.
A New World Record Breaker
Coaster Records Broken
1. World’s tallest hybrid roller coaster (205 feet tall)
2. World’s fastest hybrid roller coaster (74 miles per hour)
3. World’s steepest drop on a hybrid roller coaster (90 degrees)
4. World’s longest drop on a hybrid roller coaster (200 feet)
5. World’s longest hybrid roller coaster (5,740 feet)
6. Most inversions on a hybrid roller coaster (4)
7. Fastest airtime hill on a hybrid roller coaster (73 mph)
8. Most airtime on a hybrid roller coaster (27.2 seconds)
9. Most airtime on any roller coaster (27.2 seconds)
10. World’s first “hyper-hybrid” roller coaster
Park Records Broken
1. Most steel roller coaster track at one amusement park (57,865 feet/11 miles)
2. Most roller coaster track at one amusement park (60,423 feet/11.4 miles)
3. Most rides at one amusement park (71)
4. Most roller coasters over 200 feet tall at one amusement park (6)
5. Most roller coasters with a first drop of 90 degrees or more at one amusement park (5)
Steel Vengeance isn’t the only thing new in Frontier Town. In honor of Frontier Town’s 50th anniversary, the entire section on the park is being overhauled. More on that in the article link below.
Still have questions and want to know more? Watch this Q&A video with project manager Adam Pooch!
Steel Vengeance will open for the 2018 season on May 5th. VIP Packages are available now. For tickets and more information, visit the official Cedar Point website by clicking here.
Stay connected with Coaster Nation!
Subscribe to YouTube
MORE GREAT VIDEOS FROM COASTER NATION!